Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Getting to know Dennis Olson

This weekend, Dennis Olson will fight Nuri Shakir in the main event during Triumph Promotions' debut show at the Hampshire Dome in Milford. Olson is described by his peers as a "beast" who is ripped up and ruthless in the cage. The Amherst native is 9-2, loves pizza and would be spending a lot of time in the garden if he weren't fighting.
Just check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUXlIeSbVq4 and you'll see why people call him a beast.
Q: You were a good wrestler at Souhegan. How has that sport helped you with your career in MMA?
A: I would have to say that wrestling in high school and after high school was one of the biggest keys in my success in MMA. Even though I did not wrestle all the way through college, I have been active in wrestling for almost 15 years now. I feel that wrestling builds extreme conditioning and mental toughness needed to be a successful fighter.
Q: What attracted you to MMA?
A: My initial attraction to MMA began about 15 or 16 years ago, back in the days of Tank Abbot, Ken Shamrock and other pioneers of the sport. My father and I were renting UFC tapes from the video store for as long as I can remember the sport being around. I went and watched my first live show in 2005 and actually ended up filling in for one of the fighters. I have been hooked ever since.
Q: Over the past decade or so, Norwich University has produced some pretty good fighters. There are Mike Brown, Cody Lightfoot and you (even though you were only there for a short time). Is there something special about the school that helps mold great fighters?
A: I would have to say no… However their wrestling program is of the highest caliber and they are very serious about training and competing.
Q: Six of your nine wins have come by submission. Is that your style?
A: I definitely love to submit people, but I wouldn’t say that I have any specific way of finishing fights. Stylistically I would say that I am more of a grinder, I go where the fight takes me and finish it when I see an opportunity.
Q: What would you say are your best strengths as a fighter?
A: I would have to say that my conditioning and mental toughness are my most prized abilities in the ring. Also the fact that I absolutely hate losing helps me a lot as well, haha.
Q: Who has been your toughest opponent?
A: Hands down my toughest opponent has to be John Manley. In our fight he showed tremendous heart and perseverance. I threw everything I had at him and he would not quit. I was very impressed with how tough he turned out to be.
Q: What is your favorite movie of all time?
A: Haha, I would have to say that there is a tie between the Rocky movies and The Hangover. As random and cliché as that may seem.
Q: What is your favorite food?
A: Firecracker pizza from Kinsley House of Pizza. Delicious!
Q: What is your favorite song of all time?
A: I love all kinds of different music. I don’t think that I could give an answer to that question, I listen to everything from Kenney Chesney to Cam’ron and back.
Q: What is something most people don't know about you that may come as a surprise?
A: Even though I love this sport and all that it has done for me, if I could do anything else I would be running my own landscape design business. I love being outdoors and working with my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment